When it comes to nylon whips, maintenance isn’t as much an issue as it is with leather whips. There’s no conditioner needed on a nylon whip, & there’s no need to worry about getting your whip wet. Nylon whips were designed to be used in wet & humid conditions. Though you should be concerned with not abusing your whip, some wear & tear is normal. One of the most important things in maintaining your nylon whip is to make sure the cracker & fall is in good working order, & to loosen any knots in these that will form from time to time during practice sessions. Always keep some spare crackers on hand just in case. The Keep It Crackin’ Maintenance Kit is a good kit to keep in your whip bag. It contains 2 spare falls, 5 nylon crackers & a lacing fid.
Following is a list of some tips in maintaining your nylon whip.
I. Using your whip.
1. Use your whip on grass; polished/coated surfaces, such as gymnasium/hardwood floors.
2. Wear eye protection.
3. Respect the whip.
4. Watch for knots that can form in the fall or cracker & loosen them as soon as they’re noticed.
5. Supervise young children who are learning whipcracking.
1. Hit people or animals with any part of your whip.
2. Use your whip on rough surfaces such as asphalt, concrete, gravel or sand.
3. Swing or hang from your whip, unless of course, personal survival demands it.
NOTE: Noreast Whips will not repair or replace a whip due to misuse.
4. Crack your whip without an attached cracker. This can damage & shorten the fall.
II. Caring for & cleaning your whip.
1. Use a damp cloth to wipe off any dirt or mud after cracking session. If whip is used in wet conditions, run a dry towel over the whip’s length, which will help absorb some of the moisture from the whip. Hang to dry.
2. Use a mild dish detergent & warm water for cleaning hard to remove spots. It’s fine to hold the whip under running water or even submerge it for a short time while you clean it.
3. Use a soft bristled brush for cleaning dirt or debris that’s worked its way between the plaited strands. A toothbrush works well.
4. Store loosely coiled in a bag or dry place.
1. Soak whip in water for extended periods. Water will eventually reach the core.
2. Leave exposed to direct sunlight for extended periods. UV rays ultimately will damage the nylon fibers, though it would take many years of this to ruin a whip.
Disclaimer: You knew this was coming. Whips are not toys, they are tools & should be handled with the same care as you would a sharp knife or power tool. Whips can tear flesh, break bones & take out an eye. When a whip cracks, the tip is moving faster than the speed of sound; over 1400 ft per second.
Noreast Whips is not liable for any damage caused to people, property or animals, by the misuse of (accidental or intentional) any whip built & sold by Noreast Whips.
Noreast Whips™~All Rights Reserved